Important Server Port Numbers & its Uses
What is meant by Port Number ?
- A Port is a Application specific or Process specific software used to serve as a communication endpoint in a computer’s host operating system.
- Port is associated to the IP Address of the Host Computer.
- Protocols that uses Ports are TCP & UDP
- A IP Address with the Port Number completes the Address for Communication.
- Eg Devices that uses ports : Network Routers, Computer Software etc
Port Number Range :
Port Address Size is 16-Bits which was called as Port Number. Port Range varies from 0 to 65535
Important Ports Numbers :
22 FTP over SSL
123 NTP (Network time protocol)
180 RIS (Remote Installation Server)
389 LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol)
443 HTTPS (HTTP over SSL/TLS)
3389 Terminal services (Remote Desktop)
443 SSL (https) (http protocol over TLS/SSL)
3268 AD Global Catalog
3269 AD Global Catalog over SSL
500 Internet Key Exchange, IKE (IPSec) (UDP 500)