New features in Windows Server 2012 R2
Windows Server 2012 R2 is the latest server operating system which was released by the microsoft. This basic incremental update from the windows server 2012 brings many more technologies for the on-premises solutions. In this server operating system microsoft fully focused on the “cloud” engineering. There are lot more new features which was released in the Windows Server 2012 R2, lets see some..
System Center 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2012 R2 was released at the same time so that they both were integrated easily in a environment.
- IPAM support for the virtualized environment provides good IP management.
- We can create 3-way mirrored virtual disks on the storage space graphically.
- Site to Site VPN Gateway.
- Tiered Storage Spaces gives great performances and scalability and also it alows us to use both the SSD and HDD as a single storage space.
- Powershell Desired State Configuration (DSC) extensions.
- CIM and DMTF standards-based, enabling great consistent management across all types of devices.
- Word Folders access provides uninterepted access to the user data by synchronizing all the data across devices.
- Dynamic NIC Teaming enables better performance and utilization of the resources.
- Live migration between Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2. While doing live migration the memory is highly compressed that results in better performance improvements.
- Hyper-V Replica enabled virtual machine (VM) was replicated to another Hyper-V server for extending its disaster recovery (DR) capabilities.
- Control the frequency of Hyper-V replication as 30 secs, 5 mins, 15 mins.
- Hyper-V Recovery Manager provides more control over the virtual machines in the time of failover process.
- Dynamic VHDX resizing provides you the possibility to resize your virtual machines volume size.
- VHDX Deduplication support provides improved performance.
- Windows Azure Pack.
- USB pass-through.
- Use ReFS with CSV.
- Software Defined Networking which alos includes in-box gateway functionality.
- Enhanced Hyper-V Extensible Switch architecture.
- New remote live traffic monitoring.
- Full Linux support including dynamic memory support, live backup, 64 vCPU SMP, virtual SCSI, and hot-add/resize of storage.
- Virtual Receive Side Scaling (RSS)
- Automatic activationof the VM’s when running on Server 2012 R2 Datacenter.
- VM Connection improvements.
- Support for shared VHDX files by VMS.
- Can use MSDN server licenses on Windows Azure at no charge.
Source : Windows IT Pro